There are five sections in this chapter
- The Realist Movement
- Modernizing the Academic Nude
- Impressionism: Painters of Modern Life
- Women Impressionists
- Describe the typical subject matter of Realist paintings, and how it differed from the types of subjects accepted by the Royal Academy
- Explain the specific ways in which Realist paintings reflect the impact of the Industrial Revolution
- Explain why Manet’s Luncheon on the Grass and Olympia were so controversial.
- Describe the types of subjects that were typical of Impressionist paintings, and what made these subjects so “modern”
- Explain why Impressionist painters painted in such a loose and sketchy manner. What were they trying to achieve?
- Explain how the subject matter of women Impressionists differed from their male colleagues, and how we can account for these differences
Khan Academy Quizzes: