8.2 Modernizing the Academic Nude
Manet’s Dejeuner sur l’Herbe
See also the Musée d’Orsay’s webpage
1. According to this resource, what was the Salon des Réfuses?
2. According to the speakers, what was the “problem” with this picture, in terms of subject matter?
3. According to the speakers, what was the “problem” with the way this picture was painted?
4. According to the speaker, how does this painting relate to what the poet Charles Baudelaire said about the “modern nude”?
Manet’s Olympia – Smarthistory
See also the PBS Culture Shock webpage on Manet’s Olympia
5. According to the speakers, how can we tell this figure is a “real woman” and not a Venus?
6. According to the speakers, what was the “profession” of the woman depicted in this picture?
Degas, Woman Bathing in a Shallow Tub
7. Based on what you learned from this conversation, how can Degas’s Bather theme be related to Manet’s two famous nudes?