Visit the following web resource:
Romanticism in France (Smarthistory)
1. According to this resource, Romanticism was a response to what two phenomena?
2. According to this resource, what aspects of Jacques Louis David’s paintings can be said to reflect a Romantic impulse?
3. According to this resource, what kinds of themes were explored by Romantic artists?
Watch the following Smarthistory videos:
Delacroix’s Death of Sardanapalus
Gericault’s Raft of the Medusa
Goya’s Third of May, 1808
Turner, Slave Ship (Slavers Throwing Overboard the Dead and Dying, Typhoon Coming On), 1840
4. In your own words, summarize what these paintings all seem to have in common (be sure to consider size, style, and subject matter)
Peter Barnet, “Pastoral and Sublime: The Two Faces of Romantic Landscape”
5. According to this resource, what is the difference between a “pastoral” and “sublime” landscape?
6. Can you think of examples of places that you have seen (or read about) that might exemplify these two categories?