Click to download worksheet:
David’s Oath of the Horatii (Smarthistory)
1. According to the speakers, what style of painting was this picture a reaction against?
2. According to the speakers, what is significant about how gender is portrayed in this picture?
3. According to the speakers, what was the “message” of this painting, and why did it become a symbol of the revolution?
J.L. David’s, Lictors Returning to Brutus the Bodies of his Sons
4. Explain the subject matter of this picture. What does it have in common with David’s Oath of the Horatii?
French Revolution 4/9
5. Based on what you learned from this video, who was Jean-Paul Marat, and what role did he play in the French Revolution?
Jacques Louis David, Death of Marat
6. According to the speakers, what was so revolutionary about this picture?
7. According to the speakers, what was David’s role in the French revolution?
8. According to the speakers, what historical shift is registered in this picture?
9. According to the speakers, how does the style of this picture contrast with the Rococo?