Click to download worksheet:
6.1 The Enlightenment
Fragonard, The Progress of Love: The Meeting (Smarthistory)
1. Who commissioned this series of paintings, and what is the general theme?
2. According to the speakers, how do theses pictures reflect the lifestyle of the French aristocracy in the 18th century?
A Beginner’s Guide to the Enlightenment (Smarthistory)
3. According to this resource, what shift in thinking took place in the 18th century?
4. According to this resource, how did Jean Jacques Rousseau’s The Social Contract challenge traditional ideas about monarchy?
5. According to this resource, what was the attitude of Enlightenment thinkers towards Rococo art? What kind of art did they call for instead?