Click to download worksheet:
5.4 Rembrandt and Vermeer
1. Explain the subject matter of this picture. According to this resource, what was so innovative about Rembrandt’s approach?
2. According to this resource, what is the symbolism of the little girl carrying a chicken?
Rembrandt, Self-Portrait, 1659
3. According to the speakers, how is Rembrandt’s self portrait different from his other commissioned portraits?
4. According to the speakers, how is Rembrandt’s treatment of light different from Caravaggio’s followers?
5. According to the speakers, what can we “read” in Rembrandt’s face in this self-portrait?
Vermeer, Young Woman with a Water Pitcher (Smarthistory)
6. According to the speakers, what kinds of subjects became “typical” in Holland in the 17th century?
7. According to the speakers, what does this picture tell us about what the Dutch valued most?