Click to download worksheet:
4.3 Germany and Netherlands
Grunewald’s Isenheim Altarpiece (Art Through Time: A Global View)
1. According to this resource, how does the placement and subject matter of this image reinforce one of the central tenets of Christianity?
2. Explain Explain how this picture’s focus on bodily pain relates to the original context in which it was placed. What “message” was it intended to send to the audience for the work?
Dürer’s Four Apostles
3. How did Dürer communicate his support for Protestant ideas in these panels?
Holbein’s The Ambassadors
See also: http://www.learner.org/courses/globalart/work/123/expert/1/index.html
4. What are the objects on the table, and what is their symbolism?
5. What is the strange shape in the foreground of the picture, and why is it difficult to see?
6. According to the speakers, what is the deeper message of this painting?
Bosch’s Garden of Earthly Delights (Art Through Time: A Global View)
7. According to this resource, what is the subject matter of the right hand panel (mistakenly referred to in the text as the “leftmost” panel), and what is its message?