Click to download worksheet:
Parmiagianino’s Madonna of the Long Neck
1. What is “Mannerism,” and what makes this picture typically “Mannerist”?
Giorgione and the High Renaissance in Venice (NGA)
2. According to this resource, what were Venetian painters most interested in?
3. What new kinds of subjects did Giorgione introduce?
The Venetian Renaissance: Giovanni Bellini and Titian’s Feast of the Gods
4. Explain the subject matter of this picture, and how it relates to the kinds of subjects discussed by the National Gallery webpage
Titian’s Venus of Urbino
5. Based on what you learned from this conversation, what specific aspects of this painting, in terms of both subject matter and style, makes it typical of Venetian painting (as described in the National Gallery webpage)?