Click to download worksheet:
Donatello’s Saint Mark
1. Who commissioned Donatello’s Saint Mark, and why is this significant?
2. St. Mark is standing with his weight shifted to one leg. What is this pose called, and why is it significant?
3 The speakers say that Saint Mark expressed “civic pride” to Florentines. Can you explain how?
4. What specific aspects of Donatello’s David reflect the influence of Classical Antiquity?
5. Why is David’s nudity significant?
6. Explain the political symbolism of this statue. What did David symbolize to Florentines in the 15th century, and why?