Click here to download worksheet:
1.1 Proto Renaissance
Dr. Nancy Ross, “The Image in Early Medieval Art,” Smarthistory
“Humanism in the Renaissance,” from The Renaissance Connection
1. According to Dr. Nancy Ross, how did Christian art change from the style of classical art? What specific techniques did artists abandon, and why?
2. According to to “The Renaissance Connection,” how were Saints and Holy figures distinguished from humans in medieval religious art?
3. How did the representation of Saints change in the Renaissance?
Cimabue’s Santa Trinita Madonna & Giotto’s Ognissante Madonna
4. According to the speakers, in what specific ways does Giotto’s painting differ from Cimabue’s?
Giotto, Arena (Scrovegni) Chapel, Padua, c. 1305 – Part 3 of 4 (The Lamentation)
5. Describe the subject matter of Giotto’s Lamentation. What specific techniques did he use to “humanize” the story?